Our carefully selected ‘foundation’ farms provide us with quality meat and a transparent supply chain. We have also identified a number of ‘concept’ farms within the Farming Groups, where we focus on areas such as welfare, farming efficiency and the environment. This will enable us to provide research and knowledge to farmers to help improve on issues such as disease using new expertise or technology.
To date, we have been using these concept farms to research key ongoing challenges within the agricultural supply chain, such as animal welfare, disease and sustainability. We are in the process of establishing these concept farms across each species – as the farms and our research programme develop, we’ll update you on the progress of individual research projects.
Our current research areas include:
- Animal medicines and antibiotic use
- Integrated dairy and beef supply chain
- Environmental enrichment for chickens and turkeys
- Fish improvement projects in line with our Responsible Fish Policy
- Campylobacter interventions within our poultry supply chain
- Improved health and nutrition in pork and pork sectors
- Indoor non-confinement farrowing systems for pigs
- Grassland management for efficient lamb production
- Ongoing development of our livestock standards and relevant performance outcome measures across all species